With a shortened American Idol schedule comes a rather big cut from 20 to 10. Personally, I don’t mind this big cut for the semi-finals to the finals stage, though my personal opinion has always been that I think the Top 20 should each perform twice before the cut is made. Nonetheless, there weren’t too many issues with the results in my opinion. I would’ve liked to have seen Nick, who was one of my favourites, and Faith, whose performance I really enjoyed, make it through over a couple that did; I was also pleasantly surprised to see Jovin make it through. He had a weak first-night, but I’m a fan of his style and liked everything he’d turned in up until that point.
The judges’ decision to “save” Makayla Phillips to make it a top eleven was appreciated as well, as she’s quickly become one of my favourites from this cast as well. It turned out to be a good decision, too, as I think she delivered the best performance of the evening. Elsewhere, Just Sam bounced back incredibly well from her first performance to now. Julia, who I haven’t really been a fan of this season, also delivered a performance I wound up enjoying as well.
- Makayla Phillips – “The House That Built Me” (Miranda Lambert)
- Francisco Martin – “Falling Like the Stars” (James Arthur)
- Just Sam – “Grandma’s Hands” (Bill Withers)
- Louis Knight – “In My Place” (Coldplay)
- Jovin Webb – “Voodoo” (Allen Stone)
- Julia Gargano – “New York State of Mind” (Billy Joel)
- Sophia James – “In My Room” (The Beach Boys)
- Jonny West – “Faithfully” (Journey)
- Dillon James – “Yesterday” (The Beatles)
- Grace Leer – “Over the Rainbow” (Judy Garland)
- Arthur Gunn – “Take Me Home, Country Roads” (John Denver)